Thursday, March 3, 2011

Max's Allegheny Tavern-537 Suismom St. Pgh., PA 15212 2/11 3pm.

Max's is a Northside landmark that these two fat ladies have been going to for years even when it was called Max and Erma's and they lost part of the name to the big restuarant chain. This was a big disapointment.We were seated and given menus. We sat alone for over 15 minutes when I got up and went into the other roon that had several tables full. I stood there for a few minutes and didn't see a waitress.I went back to our table and started to gather our coats when the host came into the room to seat another table.I told him that we had not seen a waitress yet and he stated he would send one back and left.She then came to take our orders. I first ordered goulash, which is supposed to be  flavorful meat and gravy over spatzels. The gravy tasted like canned gravy with ketchup, and the spatzels were laying in a 1/2 inch of water in the serving plate. this was not even warm enough to eat. This was sent back. The waitress told me when I started to order a hamburger that the burgers take a long time. Since my companion had her food I asked what would take the shortest time and she suggested a club sandwich (this I could make at home).I did get the club which was OK ( to be fair, I didn't want a cold sandwich to start with). The sides that were served were potato pancakes, which were underdone on the inside and slightly burnt on the outside. My companion ordered the Rubin with a side of potato pancakes. The meat on the Rubin was lean and delicious as was the sauerkraut and cheese. The bread was greasy, fried in too much fat. She took her potato pancakes home to have the next day. When trying to re-heat the pancakes the under cooked potatoes were black therefore these were thrown away.
All in all, I think I will spend my money elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment