Saturday, March 5, 2011

Kretzler's Tavern-2240 Babcock Blvd,Pgh PA 15237 3/5/11

This is a place we have gone to 4 times in the past 3 months. We have had their fish sandwiches (large pieces of cod cooked just right); hamburgers (juicy, cooked to order); reuben (piled high with lean corned beef); crispy fish strip basket (cooked perfectly) and shrimp basket (rather smallish serving of shrimp, but good).
Today, I ordered the Italian hoagie half, which came with my choice of one side and I chose potato pancakes. I was disappointed with the hoagie I'm sorry to say. After all the really good food and generous servings I found this sandwich to be only so-so with small portions of fair lunch meats, skimpy cheese and topped with a large pile of shredded lettuce.This was all served on a toasted  hoagie roll So, if you love lettuce, this is your sandwich. The best part of my meal was the potato pancakes served with sour cream. The pancakes are about 1/2 inch thick and are crispy on the outsides and are cooked but still have texture on the insides. These should be eaten when they are served hot as they tend to get a little rubbery when they are cold. My companion had the fish sandwich again, and as I stated before, this is always a good choice. I would like to mention that the food is fresh made and if this place is somewhat full, or if there is a party in the banquet room, there can be a bit of a wait for the food.
I would like to mention the appetizers. The spinach artichoke dip, fries, and combo platter are great bar food choices. The combo platter being my personal favorite.

2 comments:

  1. The french onion soup is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the french onion is very good, not too salty and with cheese baked on top.

    ReplyDelete